Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Watches

In my school days there were very few of the students who used to wear watches. My dad had gone to US in those days and he had got one electronic watch. I was one of the firsts to wear an electronic watch in the school. I was searching of the important things that happened in the history of watches.

1500s=The first pocket watch was invented in Germany

1884=GMT recognized as the basis of time zones in England.

1956=Rolex has the first day-date display in the watch.

1962=First Quartz watch (Swiss made). Battery Operated.

1972=LCD. Liquid Crystal Display (Electronic) Watches.

Since then we have variation in the models. Essentially there are mechanical watches, automatic watches, quartz watches, Kinetic and electronic watches (battery operated and solar). Some extra features like FM/AM Radio, Temperature, GPS, Bluetooth, MP3 Player, Remote control, USB connected watches have been launched. I have yet to see any watches with integrated mobile phone. Watches in Phone are so prevalent, but phone in watches not yet. Or is it that I don't know?

How can we discuss watches without talking about HMT and Titan. My father is still a HMT fan and wears an HMT, I on the other hand wear a Titan.

No comments: